Tuesday, September 9, 2014

How to NOT be self-conscious...

Interesting that we are in a society where everyone has some self-conscious moments, but evidently, not everyone feels self-conscious most of the time. That special little title is not applicable to everyone, like I had always assumed. See, I can't do anything without feeling self-conscious or self-critical. Honestly, I thought everyone felt that way. I had no idea that I was the abnormal one.

I recently quit my career as a teacher and embarked upon a new one, where I work from home as an editor/proofreader. I also homeschool/unschool our 13 year old Autistic son. In my new, awesome, amazing career, I work from home reading currently unpublished novels for self-published author's. Many of the books I have been reviewing lately are of the romance genre. Evidently a popular genre.

I noted to my husband how irritating I found it that the main female characters in these books always feel so amazing the instant that their clothes come off. How can they never seem to feel uncomfortable with their bodies or their feelings? I asked him why he thought that this was the case and he told me that most people tend to feel comfortable with themselves, particularly when they are intimate with others.

This is honest-to-goodness news to me. I honestly don't know whether I believe him or not. If this is true, then why on Earth are the so many magazine articles, websites, self-help books, and therapists out there helping people to feel better about themselves? If this is not true, then how does one stop one's self from feeling self-conscious?

As I stated above, I feel self-conscious pretty much all the time. I don't feel comfortable in my own skin, I don't feel as though I am ... I guess ... good enough. As my husband stated to me, you just have to learn to like yourself. My first thought that crossed my mind was seriously, what is there to like? Now as I look at it, I realize that is not a healthy perspective of one's self so I began looking online to find out how to help myself become a happier inner me and shut up my inner witch.

I found one article that lead to two different articles. One listed 12 ways to accept yourself and the other listed three steps for self acceptance. So, ultimately that is 15 steps. The three smaller steps list is very general, which would make sense considering that learning to like yourself is a pretty huge thing. At least I think so.

I would type them all out, but I think I'll address each of them separately. I plan to begin with the 12 steps first (who doesn't love a good 12 step program, right?) because it does have more specific goals. After that, I intend to move on to the 3. Hang out for a bit. I think I may just enjoy this, or I may end up rambling about stuff that no one really cares about.

That may just be my self-consciousness shouting out again.

No comments: