Friday, July 30, 2010

To Be A Writer

Have you ever had that feeling that you are not accomplishing all you should? that you need to be doing something more?

I feel that way when I read poetry and learn about poets that began writing at such young ages. For example, I learned about the poet Christina Rossetti. She began writing at age five and wrote her entire life.

I like writing. Actually, I really enjoy writing a lot. However, I feel like I never have anything worthy of writing about. I didn't have a childhood that was filled with strife. Rather I think my childhood was quite idyllic. No one wants to read about that. Do they? I would think not.

Heartache and difficulty are not things that I have much experience with and yet any type of writing I tend to read, particularly in poetry. These authors have some kind of personal experiences that involve some type of struggle. I wish I didn't feel so inept.

No comments: